Ten Most Shocking Antisemitic Incidents of July 2022
The Combat Antisemitism Movement (CAM) Information Hub collects comprehensive antisemitism data from around the world on a constant basis, and publishes a regular feature on the top ten antisemitic incidents that shook Jewish communities globally during the preceding month.
The ten most shocking antisemitic incidents of July 2022 are as follows:
1. UN Official: Social Media Largely Controlled by Jewish Lobby, NGOs
In an interview with the Mondoweiss website, Indian human rights expert Miloon Kothari — one of three members of the “UN Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and in Israel” — also questioned why the Jewish state was “even a member of the UN.”
2. Neo-Nazis Rally With Swastikas Outside Tampa Convention Center
A group of neo-Nazi demonstrators rallied on July 23 outside a conservative conference in Florida, where they displayed swastikas and handed out antisemitic material.
View this post on Instagram
3. Rhode Island Restaurant Issues Apology After Posting Antisemitic Anne Frank Meme
“The post was poorly thought out and we realize that it was incredibly inappropriate and does not reflect our values as members of our community,” the Atlantic Sports Bar and Restaurant in Tiverton, Rhode Island, said.
4. On Holiday in Croatia, French Jewish Schoolchildren Wake Up to Find Giant Swastika Daubed Outside Their Hotel
“This will be an unforgettable holiday and experience for these children, for all the wrong reasons…a reminder that we can never become complacent or let our guard down when it comes to antisemitism,” European Jewish Association (EJA) Chairman Rabbi Menachem Margolin says.
5. Anti-Israel Demonstrators Harass Jewish Shoppers Outside Kosher Stores in Thornhill, Ontario
Anti-Israel protesters reportedly screamed “Free Palestine” and yelled antisemitic slurs at Jewish shoppers in an area of the Toronto suburb of Thornhill where there are many kosher establishments.
6. Vandals Desecrate 600-Year-Old Jewish Cemetery in Istanbul, Turkey
Thirty-six gravestones were damaged in the incident at the Hasköy Cemetery in Istanbul’s Beyoğlu district.
Hasköy Mezarlığımıza gece yarısı girilmiş, 36 tane mezar taşımız tahrip edilmiştir.
Konu tüm resim ve gece kayıtları ile ilgili makamlara iletilmiş olup, bu vandalizmi yapanların bir an evvel yakalanmasını beklemekteyiz.@TC_icisleri @TC_istanbul pic.twitter.com/8vapMNW6o8
— Türk Yahudi Toplumu (@tyahuditoplumu) July 15, 2022
7. Neo-Nazi Former U.S. Marine Plotted to Attack Jews and Others in ‘Rapekrieg,’ Federal Prosecutors Say
Ex-Marine Matthew Belanger, who belonged to a neo-Nazi group that counts willingness to murder Jewish children as a membership requirement, has been arrested on charges stemming from a federal investigation into his plot to commit mass murder, including against Jews.
8. French Left-Wing MPs Call on Government to Condemn ‘Institutionalization by Israel of a Regime of Apartheid Against the Palestinian People’
The text, signed by 38 French lawmakers, was introduced by Communist MP Jean-Paul Lecoq, who is vice president of the French National Assembly’s Foreign Affairs Committee.
9. Trees Dedicated to Memory of Buchenwald Concentration Camp Victims Chopped Down
The Buchenwald concentration camp memorial says seven trees dedicated to the memory of victims of the Nazi camp in eastern Germany have been chopped down.
Unpassend dazu: Nahe der Gedenkstätte sägten Unbekannte vmtl. gestern 7 Bäume ab, die an Opfer des KZ #Buchenwald erinnern (Projekt “1000 Buchen”). Einer der Bäume war den getöteten Kindern von Buchenwald gewidmet. Wir sind entsetzt über den gezielten Angriff auf das Gedenken. https://t.co/7rHYy7V2es pic.twitter.com/0aY24z7qmt
— Stiftg. Gedenkstätten Buchenwald u. Mittelbau-Dora (@Buchenwald_Dora) July 20, 2022
10. San Antonio Jewish Institutions Briefly Suspend Activities Amid Unspecified Safety Threat
An unspecified security threat disrupted Shabbat services and other Jewish activities in San Antonio, Texas, for several hours on July 9 before local Jewish leaders gave an all-clear.
For more information on CAM’s antisemitism incidents data, please visit: combatantisemitism.org/newsletters