|
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
A mob surrounded seven French Jewish tourists after they left a synagogue in the port area of Barcelona, Spain, last month, spitting at them and shouting antisemitic slurs in an incident that lasted nearly 40 minutes.
One of the victims, 41-year-old Jimmy Zaghroun, filed a complaint upon returning to France. He recounted the attack in an August 16 interview with CNEWS. Spanish authorities have confirmed that an investigation was underway.
“For 40 minutes, hundreds of people insulted us and spat at us,” he said.
According to Zaghroun, a keffiyeh-wearing woman draped in a Palestinian flag began yelling at the group while clapping and waving her arms overhead. Others soon joined her.
The chants started with “Free Palestine,” then escalated into “Baby killers,” “Jews are not welcome here,” “Zionists are not welcome here,” and “Death to Israel.”
Zaghroun tried to explain to the assailants that the group was French, not Israeli, but the crowd did not relent. Fearing for their safety, the group split up as the mob trailed them back toward their hotel.
Some in the crowd threatened to kill them. “We feared we would be murdered,” Zaghroun said.
Take Action
CAM has launched Report It, a secure app to report antisemitic incidents anonymously and in real time. Don’t stay silent. Download it today on the Apple App Store or Google Play. See it. Report it. Stop it.
Read more:
Swastika Painted on Maimonides Statue in Southern Spanish City of Córdoba
‘Destroy Israel’ Banner Unfurled at Opening Ceremony for ‘Running of the Bulls’ Festival in Spain






