‘Death to America, Curse the Jews’: Who Are Yemen’s Houthis?
August 12, 2021
As part of the #FreeLeviMahrabi campaign, the Combat Antisemitism Movement (CAM) and American Sephardi Federation (ASF) will host on Monday, August 23rd, at 10 AM (EDT), a special webinar titled “Death to America, Curse the Jews: Who are the Houthis?”
A panel of distinguished speakers will shed light on the little-known yet genocidal Iran-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis. The rebel group, which has waged a brutal and years-long civil war in Yemen, took control of Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, in 2014. Officially called “Ansar Allah,” its slogan is, “Allah is Greater, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam.”
Since coming to power, the Houthis have put the fate of the last of Yemen’s once 50,000-strong Jewish community at stake. During Passover this year, the Houthis expelled most of the country’s last remaining Jews, and only a half dozen are estimated to remain.
The Houthis have illegally imprisoned and tortured Yemenite Jew Levi Salem Mahrabi for more than four years for the alleged crime of helping other Yemenite Jews flee abroad with the community’s Torah scroll.
At the webinar, experts on the Houthis and the history of Yemen’s Jewish community will discuss the atrocities that are committed daily by the extremist rebels, their motivations, allies, and their hatred of Jews.
The panel includes:
– Professor Norman Stillman, the Schusterman/Josey Chair Emeritus of Judaic History and Founding Director of the Center for Judaic and Israel Studies at the University of Oklahoma
– Rabbi Elie Abadie, Senior Rabbi of the Jewish Council of the Emirates and the Association of Gulf Jewish Communities
– Professor Paul Fenton, Professor of Hebrew and Oriental Studies at Paris-Sorbonne University
– Mr. Jason Guberman, Executive Director of the American Sephardi Federation
– Dr. Arwa Al-Khatthai, President of the Broken Chair Organization for Mine Victims in Yemen
Don’t turn away. Don’t close your eyes. And don’t let another group of Jews become forgotten refugees!
To register for the webinar, visit: us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DfuZRrOxTdmFJp3gu_ab1Q