Ten Most Shocking Antisemitic Incidents of June 2022
July 7, 2022
The Combat Antisemitism Movement (CAM) Information Hub collects comprehensive antisemitism data from around the world on a constant basis, and publishes a regular feature on the top ten antisemitic incidents that shook Jewish communities globally during the preceding month.
The top ten most shocking antisemitic incidents of June 2022 are as follows:
1. Jewish Groups, US Lawmakers Decry Boston-Area ‘BDS Map’ for Promoting Antisemitic Tropes and Inciting Violence
An interactive map published by a pro-BDS Boston-area activist collective featured names and addresses of local Jewish institutions.
2. Imam in Canada Prays for the Annihilation of “Criminal, Plundering Jews”
Younus Kathrada — a local Muslim preacher in Victoria, British Columbia — delivered a sermon beseeching Allah to “bring annihilation upon the plundering Jews.”
3. France: Four Neo-Nazis Arrested for Planning ‘Jew Hunt’ During Soccer Match
Four neo-Nazi men in France’s Alsace region were indicted for possessing and trafficking an “impressive” amount of weapons that were intended for use against Jews, prosecutor Edwige Roux-Morizot said.
4. Gang in Stamford Hill Reportedly Responsible for Attacks on Visibly Jewish Children
It has been reported that a gang in North London is responsible for two separate attacks on visibly Jewish children. The gang is believed to be associated with the Webb Estate and is accused of harassing Jewish residents for years.
5. Germany: Police Arrest Suspect Accused of Spreading Nazi Propaganda
The German federal prosecutor’s office has arrested a suspected member of a right-wing extremist criminal organization for allegedly spreading antisemitic and Nazi ideology.
6. Jewish Man Beaten and Allegedly Called ‘Dirty Jew’ While Campaigning for His Political Candidate Wife in France
A group of men violently assaulted a Jewish man, Liron Rozenhaft, while he was putting up campaign posters for his wife, Audrey Rozenhaft, who is running for a legislative seat in Strasbourg, France, the victim told police.
7. South Africa: Commentator Calls Holocaust Education ‘Brainwashing’
“Ignoble and ill-intentioned,” “brainwashing,” “racist content” that “creeps through a syllabus” and “grand lies fed to impressionable children” are some of the phrases that Madoda Sitshange used to describe Holocaust education in South Africa in an article published in the “analysis” section of the Sunday Independent.
8. 2021 Saw 24% Jump in Antisemitic Incidents in New York State, New Data Shows
The number of antisemitic incidents in New York State increased by 24% — from 336 to 416 — in 2021, compared to 2020, according to a joint report published by the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism and the Community Security Initiative, a project of UJA-Federation of NY and JCRC-NY.
9. Number of Antisemitic Incidents in Germany Surged 40% in 2021, New Annual Data Report Shows
The number of antisemitic incidents recorded in Germany in 2021 totaled 2,738, up nearly 40% from the 1,957 of the previous year, mirroring a global rise in Jew-hatred, according to a new annual data report published by the country’s Federal Association of Departments for Research and Information on Antisemitism (RIAS).
10. Boston City Councilor Faces Backlash for Antisemitic Tweet
A Boston city councilor walked back a tweet in which she had enlisted an antisemitic trope, writing in frustration over a federal court ruling: “ya’ll are letting the Zionists SHAKE YOU DOWN.” Councilor Kendra Lara, of the city’s sixth district, initially tweeted in response to an appellate court ruling that upheld an Arkansas law requiring state contractors to pledge not to boycott Israel. The appeals court said the law did not conflict with the First Amendment.
For more information on CAM’s antisemitism incidents data, please visit: combatantisemitism.org/newsletters